Wednesday 3 May 2006

Painting over shadows

Since my Mam died last August, and I inherited the house, I’ve been slowly but surely redecorating the place… But lately, I came to realise how important it is to me that every room gets a complete makeover and, in most cases, a change of practical everyday use. This is something that I’ve simply felt, rather than actually thought about, until just recently. All the patterned carpets and wallpapers have to go (I prefer plain colours), whether there’s much life still left in them or not, even at risk of ongoing DIY jobs turning a home into a money pit. Without being disrespectful to my dear Mam’s memory, I don’t want any part of the house to become like a shrine (portraits on display and a few keepsakes are reminders that I’ve chosen with care). Otherwise, I may probably never consider this place as my own. Does this make sense to anyone else but me?

No comments: